Shanghainese "gayness"

well... after 2 wks of being sick and having my lifestyle largely limited, finally i am feeling better and can again function normally (except a still strange voice with which i can scare ppl saying i have bird flu ^0^).
and today still went to hospital to draw in regions of tumour for 10 or so patients. (at the same time went through 1 novel, 2 authors' blogs... and a complete blog scan of all friends) so yes had myself moderately productive, but 100% entertained in my quiet, air-conditioned, personal office... the peace I find is a reali big blessing.
and suddenly remembered something very interesting from my last visit to Shanghai. When i was sitting on a bus one late afternoon, 2 little year 7 boys were standin beside me having a very intimate conversation.
it was approaching christmas so I soon realised they were talking about Christmas presents. after they asked each other about what did they buy for teachers, they started to talk about the Christmas cards they gave to friends. then one of them said with a big sweet grin on his face, while nudging his friend:
"i dun give cards to girls! i gave every single guy in the class a card, but only with you card i attached this 1 RMB worth little trinket...
on hearing that the other boy had a bigger sweeter grin on his face, reali reali excited about his 1 RMB specialness to his friend...
then the 2 giggled in the most intimate fashion...
very innocent, very cute, very sweet, and very gay.
I had since entertained myself with the thought of how gay these boys may turn out when they grow up.
after all year 7 means 12 or 13... stil a child but old enough to want to try out a less girly way of displaying friendship.

2 comments:

Anonymous 5:52 PM  

But in China, people aren't as obsessed about sex and sexuality as they are in the west (esp without huge Bible influence), so something like that between girls would have been totally normaly, between boys, maybe in primary school the machoness and phobia hasn't been bred into some boys yet. No harm in it I reckon, kids being kids is great, and it's less possessive in traditional Chinese culture, unlike in Western culture or modern China.

neptunian 1:15 PM  

lol!!
this'll keep me smiling the whole day.

About this blog

About Me

My photo
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.