My Father's Suitcase

It has been years, and this is still full of awesomeness. especially at this moment in time, it is more true than ever.

"So let me change the mood with a few sweet words that will, I hope, serve as well as that music. The question we writers are asked most often, the favorite question, is: Why do you write? I write because I have an innate need to write. I write because I can’t do normal work as other people do. I write because I want to read books like the ones I write. I write because I am angry at everyone. I write because I love sitting in a room all day writing. I write because I can partake of real life only by changing it. I write because I want others, the whole world, to know what sort of life we lived, and continue to live, in Istanbul, in Turkey. I write because I love the smell of paper, pen, and ink. I write because I believe in literature, in the art of the novel, more than I believe in anything else. I write because it is a habit, a passion. I write because I am afraid of being forgotten. I write because I like the glory and interest that writing brings. I write to be alone. Perhaps I write because I hope to understand why I am so very, very angry at everyone. I write because I like to be read. I write because once I have begun a novel, an essay, a page I want to finish it. I write because everyone expects me to write. I write because I have a childish belief in the immortality of libraries, and in the way my books sit on the shelf. I write because it is exciting to turn all life’s beauties and riches into words. I write not to tell a story but to compose a story. I write because I wish to escape from the foreboding that there is a place I must go but—as in a dream—can’t quite get to. I write because I have never managed to be happy. I write to be happy. "

- from "My Father's Suitcase" by Orhan Pamuk

and to my own parents who have managed to make a living hell out of the precious time that really should be one's most relaxed and happy, which one really may not have another chance of in a lifetime.
thank you for being so destructive.
yet i fully understand why you come to such thoughts and actions, and could not help pitying you.

i only have my pen... not an impressive one... but i only have my pen.

4 comments:

Orlando 1:58 PM  

都不知道說什麼了8:[
總覺得父母那代,被毒害太多,常不通人情、待兒女更少世故。

Orlando 2:09 PM  

真心希望能有個懂你能保護你的男孩在你身邊,和你說心裡話。
坦白說過去跟你聊時總覺得你很“克己”(無奈笑),稍微說兩句,你就會表示“我好多了”或者“這些話對我很有用”之類的,但同時我又理解好多事不能隨便對人說得太透徹,那樣會叫自己不知道自己是誰。
擁抱。

YN 10:45 PM  

抱住,抱住~
ironically...父母也真心希望我有美满人生,though... according to their rules and standards only.
倘若不想决裂,一点办法也没有。
另外我说话时真的有那么为他人着想吗?~心~XD
下次同你别处再聊。

Unknown 9:09 PM  

Hold onto that 'pen'. Create a life, many lives. Keep writing!! ah ... parents... they are who they are due to their circumstances. You will be a great liberal parent one day! TIFF

About this blog

About Me

My photo
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.