Cross

The yr 12 results r out. Another year. Family friends laugh and cry... about enter, about pref, and about med.
And my thoughts, for some reason went 2 the cross.
I still remember myself in yr 12, stressing over the med interviews... and this family friend with a daughter who is already in med told me this absolutely horrid thing: wear a cross 2 any interview... and that will leave a very good impression on the interviewers.
He is not a Christian, and he does not know that I was a Christian at the time. And he suggested that... even 2day i can't get over it.
When the common perception is that people reject and turn away from the notion of Christianity... Trust me ppl do exploit the cross... and Christianity, for their gains.
Cross, as people say, is merely a symbol... All people can use it. And the claim that Christians ripped it off from other cultures is not new. But when people use the cross for their gain, they obviously exploit the meaning of Christ's suffering, death and salvation.
And then its about my own prob... i remember myself being infuriated heaps of times, and thinking about some ppl in this way: As if ppl r going 2 think u r a Christian now u hav this cross on your neck...
Righteous anger... i doubt it. how many times hav I fall short of the cross i am wearing??? No one is worthy of God's salvation... no one is worthy 2 be called His child.
Cross, just reminds us of Christ's pain, and the deepest love He has for us, which we r 2 share with people around us.

1 comments:

SS 4:47 PM  

Hmm... that's really thought-provoking, and a different way of how I'd looked at this issue before...

I always thought that it was a good thing when people wore the cross, because, well, even if they weren't solid Christians, at least they identified with Christianity enough to be happy with other people identifying them as Christians. You know, in contrast to people who believe but wouldn't wear a cross because they don't want to be seen in that way (like, being ashamed of Christ). Sort of, those people who are not against us are for us, that sort of idea (I think I'm paraphrasing Jesus, I hope I'm paraphrasing appropriately).

But I can see your point, about the possibility that people exploit the cross for their own gains - for that I guess represents a lack of understanding of its true symbolic meaning... but then, if those people can see the goodness associated with Christians (hence wanting to use that symbol), perhaps they're not as far from the kingdom of God as we'd otherwise think?

(Just some thoughts - feel free to totally disagree.)

About this blog

About Me

My photo
Let the bones which You have broken rejoice.